HOLIDAY SPECTACULAR Auditions
Information found on this page:
Saturday, August 26 - BCPA Creativity Center
- Grades K - 5 *
- Registration: 10:00 am
- Auditions: 10:15 am
- Grades 6 - 8
- * Some may be asked to stay later for call backs.
- Adults & High School
- Registration: 12:45 pm
- Auditions: 1:15 pm
- Dance - Wooden Soldiers
- High school age and above
- Registration: 2:30 pm
- Auditions: 3:00 pm
- Dance - Tappers
- High school age and above
- Registration: 3:00 pm
- Auditions: 3:30 p
- Father/Daughter or Grandfather/Granddaughter Dance
- Girls must be ages 6-7
- Registration: 3:45 pm
- Auditions: 4:00 pm
- Some roles may be pre-cast.
Thursday, August 24 - BCPA Creativity Center
- Alternate auditions for those that can't make the main auditions on Thursday, 8/24
- Registration: 5:00 pm
- Auditions: 5:15 pm
Results will be posted by end of day on Wednesday, August 30.
- BCPA Creativity Center
- 107 E. Chestnut, Bloomington
- Prepare a song (Holiday song is preferred, but pick the best song for your voice. Jingle Bells is an acceptable audition song.). If a Christmas song, your song could be considered for the show when appropriate.
- Best if the song is memorized.
- Bring sheet music (accompanist provided) or a CD accompaniment track.
- No acapella singing
- Accompaniment CD tracks only
- Plan to sing one verse or excerpt of a longer song.
- Directors will likely cut long audition pieces after 16-24 measures, so it's advised
to pick the portion of a longer song that best highlights your voice.
- No pop songs
- Those not comfortable singing a solo may audition in small groups singing "Jingle Bells"
- If filling out by hand, please print and make sure it is easy to read.
- Remember to attach a current picture to the form.
- For child safety, all parents of minors are required to help supervise at least once during each: rehearsals, tech week, and a performance. A volunteer form which also includes other volunteer needs is attached to the minor audition form. This needs to be filled out and turned in before an audition is allowed.
- It will help the speed of registration if you have the form filled out before coming to auditions.
- To help defray the cost of the production, there will be a $35 participation fee. Family rate: $60 for 2, $80 for 3 or more. Scholarships are available on a need basis.
- Please see the tentative schedule below for dates when filling out the conflict part of the audition form. A more detailed schedule will be posted after cast members have been assigned to songs. The current schedule provides the dates when you will probably have rehearsal.
- Below is a tentative schedule of rehearsal dates. (The blue dates are rehearsals and the red are show dates.) Other dates on some Saturdays will probably be added, but the dates below will probably not change.
- Rehearsals for certain groups will also be: 3rd-5th from 9:00-10:00 and jr high/high school from 10:00-11:00 will be scheduled on the following Saturdays:
- October 7, 14, 28 and November 4
- Check this schedule to be sure that you are available for the rehearsals. Any conflicts you know you will have need to be listed on your audition form.
Mandatory Cast Meeting (& Parents of minors) - Tuesday, September 5
If you are cast in the show (or are the parent of a minor who is cast),
you are required to attend an all cast meeting on Tuesday. Sept. 5, at the BCPA Creative Center. All parents and cast members are expected to, in some way, volunteer time during
the weeks leading up to and during the show.
- 6:00 - New cast member orientation
- 6:45 - Returning cast members
There will also be another meeting for all parents of minors to discuss the volunteer requirement at a later time. The exact date and time to be announced.
Typical Time Commitment
- This is based on last year's schedule. There may need to be some major revisions due to rehearsal space availability. Please check back for any major announcements about rehearsals.
- We make every attempt to plan the schedule to maximize the use of
everyone's time at rehearsal. Please note that any published schedule is tentative
and subject to change.
- mid-September through mid-November
- Vocals: Weekly rehearsals for 1-2 hours on Sunday afternoons.
- Dance: Weekly rehearsals for 1/2 - 2 1/2 hours. Nights of
rehearsal are chosen to accommodate as many as possible.
- mid-October through mid-November
- Weekly rehearsals for 1-3 hours
- Not everyone will be required at all rehearsals. It
will be determined by the scenes your role is involved in.
- Extras probably not needed until mid-November.
- Thanksgiving Week
- No rehearsals Wed-Sat around Thanksgiving
- Daily (evenings during the week, afternoons on weekends)
- For these blocking rehearsals, it is very important for everyone to be
present for your call times. These are the rehearsals where placement on the
stage, entrances, and exits are determined.
- Every attempt is made to schedule these to minimize the time of your attendance.
Scenes with most of the cast are scheduled together. We try to
schedule the children for every other night and to get them out of rehearsal by 9:00 pm.
- Starting the Sunday before the Show (Tech Week)
- Rehearsals at Bloomington Center for the Performing Arts
- Everyone required. We attempt to be done with the children as
early as possible.
- 3 Shows
- All the hard work produces a great show for our community!
- Strike immediately after the last show for all adult cast members